Apple Releases iOS 11.1 with 3D Touch App Switcher and over 70 New Emoji
A bit expected considering yesterday’s new beta releases for iOS 11.2, Apple seeded today the final iOS 11.1 software update to supported iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices.
Introducing over 70 new emoji, the final release of the iOS 11.1 operating system is now available worldwide for all supported iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. You can install it right now or continue reading to find out what changes it introduces.
First off, Apple promised to re-implement the 3D Touch App Switcher in a future iOS 11 update, and today’s iOS 11.1 is the one to bring back one of the best features of the iOS operating system for iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, and iPhone 8 devices.
Second of all, the iOS 11.1 software update patches the infamous WPA2 KRACK (Key Reinstallation Attack) security vulnerability that puts almost all smart devices at risk of being hacked, including the iPhone, so you need to install iOS 11.1 as soon as possible.
Photos and Accessibility improvements
The Photos app has been improved as well in iOS 11.1 to no longer make your photos appear blurry, improve Live Photo effects, improve display of some photos in the People album when restoring from an iCloud backup, and improves swiping between screenshots.
A bunch of accessibility improvements are also present in the iOS 11.1 update, including braille support for Grade 2 input, VoiceOver access to multi-page PDF documents, VoiceOver rotor actions when announcing incoming notifications, and much more.
It also looks like Apple fixed a bug that would make cleared Mail notifications to reappear on the lock screen, added better support for third-party GPS accessories, and resolved a couple of issues related to the Apple Watch.
The iOS 11.1 update can be installed right now on your supported iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch if you open the Settings app, go to the General section and tap on Software Updates. Simply press the “Download and Install” button to install iOS 11.1 on your device.
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
- Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
- Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch